Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Still Loving Star Wars

I listen to a lot of books on cd - mostly because I don't have much time to sit and read, plus it's a great way to spend time while packing orders or walking the dogs. I recently finished listening to Star Wars: Heir To The Empire by Timothy Zahn. I'd never actually read one of these books before, I just saw it on the shelf at my local library, thought it sounded interesting, and checked it out. I know there's a lot of books within the Star Wars universe but didn't know that Mr. Zahn is the master of this genre. Turns out Heir To The Empire is the first novel ever written in the Star Wars universe and this particular book on cd celebrates the 20th anniversary since that book was first published. For me, the writing isn't great. I'm not usually into Science Fiction, even. I don't think I'd mention this in the middle of a sci-fi convention but, nonetheless, it's still pretty cool. Turns out the narrator, Marc Thompson, is the Rich Little of Star Wars voices. He does them all and while he doesn't sound exactly like Leia, he gets the intonation correct. It's like you're listening to a new Star Wars movie, and hey, Jar Jar Binks isn't in it, so it can't be that bad, right?!




I found a sample on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY9g8SMX-Vs